Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What the He** is going on?


To an extent we all are a little freaked out by the thought of eating meat. Even if us meat eaters don't admit it. I'll be the first to admit that I rarely eat meat. In that when I do.. it's very rare.

The idea of Matrix-ized chickens bred only to provide meat somehow makes the process of raising broilers simply for meat to an all new level of unease.


But recently in my internet travels I stumbled across this bit of atrociousness.

Apparently this idea hatched from philosopher Paul Thompson at Purdue University  who suggests we should adopt the  “The Blind Chicken Solution". 
Reasoning that chickens blinded by “accident” have been developed into a strain of laboratory chickens that don’t mind being crowded together as much as normal chickens do. As a result, he argues, we should consider using blind chickens in food production as a solution to the problem of overcrowding in the poultry industry. He argues that it would be more humane to have blind chickens than ones that can see.

I can hear PETA organizations take a break from their nude celebrity photography campaigns to vomit.

Overwhelmingly I am just speechless...








5 comments:

Tammy Quinn said...

That is so wrong on so many levels.

Amber ~ The French Pressed Home said...

Where do they come up with this stuff? I, too, am speechless.

Becca said...

So I guess since the chickens can't see their filthy over crowded conditions, the conditions all just magically go away? Also, I didn't know they used chickens for laboratory testing, thanks for opening my eyes to this!

Sara said...

Its frightening how little consumers know about the sources of their food. I hope this opened up some eyes.

Anastasia said...

How in the world is that a solution? How about slowing down and going for quality not quantity instead. This just totally erks me.