Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chicken Mites the not so glamorous side of chicken care.

Ok Folks-- just warning you in advance- this is not a post for those wanting to see chickens frolicking in beds of clover, or chickens basking and napping in the sun in the shape of a heart.
Ok Just one.


Now it's time to be a grown up adult who is a responsible chicken keeper.

It's time to check your chickens for mites, ticks, worms.

There are several different types of mites/lice, but the most common ones have tell tale signs that are easily visible by inspecting the bird.

So lets all buck up and take a look at some good ol' chicken mite infestations.

Chicken with mites infestation on comb


Chicken feet with excessive 'crusty' looking scales are a sign of mites.


This is a close up of the chicken lice/mite eggs-- it looks like pretty gross.



These are the atrocious offenders in all their nasty glory. 


Feather mites leave behind what looks like mold on chicken feathers.



I won't post a picture here because honestly-- it's too gross.

But the big and most important place to check it the chicken's vent... *butt* this is where the mites will be most obvious since it's where the ticks and mites seem to thrive. 

I dusted my girls buts just this afternoon with an old salt shaker full of diatomaceous earth.  I got quite a work out chasing down chickens and sprinkling powder on em.


I personally like to treat minor infestations with Food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) which has less than 5% silicon. . This is a must have for any chicken coop. Dusted directly onto the chicken it will kill mites, ticks, and other nasty critters.

It's a bit hard to find Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth.
D&B Supply sells 50lb Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for $31.99, which should last you about a year.



I also keep the ticks away and the smell of chicken poo to a minimum by dusting areas inside the coop, roost areas, and dust bath areas.


If you find that your chickens have a particularly nasty infestation nothing works better than good ol' Dawn dish liquid and Neosporin, followed up with regular a regular daily dusting of diatomaceous earth.

Then I came inside and washed my hands---- then I took a shower .... twice.

You chickens will love you for caring for them-- and honestly it's a easy measure for the gorgeous and delicious eggs, pest control and entertainment we receive.




How can you tell the difference between mites and lice?
Table 1. Comparison chart to distinguish between lice and mites.
Lice Mites
Size 2-3 millimeters long 1 millimeter diameter (ground pepper)
Speed Fast-moving Slow-moving
Color Straw-colored (light brown) Dark reddish black
Egg location Base of feather shaft Along feather shaft
Egg color White White or off-white
Best detection time Daytime Nighttime or Daytime
Location Lives only on host Lives on host and in environment



If your flock does have a serious infestation download this pdf guide here on how to treat your flock.

25 comments:

Cottonwood Inn, Bed and Breakfast said...

You are the coolest person in the universe. I have JUST experienced this horrible situation today. I've been freaking (and showering) all day long. I'm so interested in the Dawn and Neosporin thing. I called two vets I use (I have a bunch of pets) and they were useless. One of them is an avian vet, how can you not know how to treat bird mites and be an avian vet? I love my girlies, but I am SO VERY TIRED of cleaning their butts. Now I know what the dang deal is. We have oodles of trees and wild birds (who I feed) and frequently find nests in our chicken run. I've seen the nasty little things running around the nests, and now I know they are looking for a new home in my chicken's butts. Thanks for your thoughtful post-shantal

The Boise Backyard Chicken Experience said...

Shantal-- you made my day-- I'm so happy this helped you and thanks so much for reading my blog! Hope you and your chickens and wildlife friends have a happy, healthy and gorgeous summer!

Unknown said...

Thank you soo much for your information. I so didn't want to use those insecticides. I also have a mama silkie and 3 week old chicks. Is it ok to use the DE on them too? If I can't find food grade, what is the risk if I use non food grade? I just want to get started.We just have our chickens for fun and the eggs.
I was horrified to find one of those lice crawling on me. There was a small bug bite where he was crawling.
Thanks once again for your valuable info.
Anita






I use non food grade.

pqrstw said...

Shantal, Just found your website. Very interesting. I live in Ontario and have 21 free range hens with three different roosters. My Banty hen just hatched out 7 silky chicks and I noticed lice on the babies. How do I find the product you mentioned in Canada or do you know of something similar? Very interested in the Dawn and Neosporin treatment!

Tammy of Ontario

Sara said...

Update- Please use Food Grade DE-- this has less than %5 silicone in it. Hope everyone is enjoying their flock!

fred said...

Please, may I have the recipe for the Dawn liquid and the neosporin, we are dealing with this problem for the first time. Have already bought the DE.

Thank you
Fred

Sara said...

Hi Fred, we just use 1 drop per liter. Apply the Neosporin pretty liberally.

Anonymous said...

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Should you put the DE down even if you do not have any problems yet? maybe as a preventative measure?

Sara said...

Sure. I use DE food grade to deter any future infestations as well as help eliminate any stinky smells from the coop. It works great.

Anonymous said...

I have been treating all our chickens show and pet and their coops every 4 days with DE, dusting powder and spray and am still having issues. It has been 1 month and now my show roosters tails are shredding. I have never once seen a mite or lie on them but it is obvious that they have gotten to the tails. What can I do?
mamaemma

Sara said...

So sorry to hear about your flock. It happens to everyone at one time or another. If you haven't yet, try giving the bird a bath using water warm water and a drop or two of soap, I use Dr. Bronner's soap, but a drop or two of Dawn dish liquid works too. Make sure wash and check their feet for scales, and vents for worms. Give everything a good wash. Let them air dry then powder them with DE. Before allowing them back into the coop, make sure it has been cleaned out using a natural disinfectant. I hope this helps. You are a good and thoughtful chicken keeper to be concerned about your flock. :) Best Wishes - Sara

Mary Dunn said...

How often do you sprinkle DE in your coop/run? Thanks!

Sara said...

I use the DE about twice a month. If one or more of the chickens are sick I will do DE Dustings about once a week. I also clean out my coop once every six weeks. I hope this helps!
- Sara aka: Chicken Jane

Pauline S Lane said...

I found your site by surfing for mite remedies. I enjoyed your slide show, especially the chickens of the world. Did you make them yourself?

Pauline Lane
Sumter, South Carolina
Breeder of Serama bantams
pslane@ftc-i.net

Anonymous said...

Very useful & very interesting! We are treating for lice. Would like to add that we are going to clean our coop and "bomb" with a pyrethrum bomb. Will surely Dawn wash, Neosporin, & DE them too before letting them back into the coop. Do we need to treat our lawn? How often should I worm too?
thank you!

Unknown said...

Just found your blog! Thank you so much. We have just discovered mites (hopefully only the start of them) so some DE it is.

Cheers!!!

elm said...

Can you bomb the coop with the chickens in the run next to it and under it?

Anonymous said...

Just found you site its great and the pictures are good I know now what to look for well done its been a great help.
I live in Somerset in England so a lot of your teatment I have not heard of but I'm glad to know I can wash my girls if need be. keep up the good site

Anonymous said...

Just a thought to pass on, I found if you use a strong mix of JEYES FLUID and water in a spray bottle, when you clean out your girls spray this around the hen house all the edges and corners perches etc., were the little bliters live you will see just how many you have, as they soon move out, Its brilliant I use it every week now when I clean them, you can keep on top of them this way

Anonymous said...

just had this problem with one of my girls , she was totally covered!! I had no idea she was in such a bad way ,
I had to remove some of her feathers as they were so incrusted with eggs , I dusted her with mite powder but after an hour there was no change , so I made up 2 warm buckets of water a nd held her in with water right up to her head for about 5 mins ( she loved it ) the relief must have been so good to her , there were literally thousands of the little b-g--s in the water , I dryed her with hair dryer and re-applied mite powder and left her sep from the others for the afternoon , I then set about the house & my other girls there were no mites in the house or on any other hens ?? but all were powdered and the house a omlet cube was scrubbed & sprayed , I checked dolly and she had no lice left so I put her back with the others where she layed a egg !! after all she had been though bless her . I have had hens for 4 yrs & never had 1 mite problem , this has been a big shock to me it was very upsetting but all has ended well thank goodness ..
I still cannot understand why just dolly was effected ??
hope this helps someone else

Unknown said...

Hi, my Rainbow Lorikeet has lice, can I use the DE powder on her as well?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just discovered my little old banty rooster had some type of mites when I took him in to see the vet today for an injury to his leg....I took him out of his travel crate and noticed a bunch of super tiny round dots zooming all over my hand....!!!! I was completely horrified since I regularly use diatomaceous earth on my two bids and all over their coop....I went and bought some permythrin(sp?) based lice and mite spray....which type of mites are that tiny and fast....? They appeared perfectly round and were barely visible with the naked eye....any idea what kind the are....? Nothing visible on feathers or skin, or base of feather shafts....
Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Baffled in Buhl

Anonymous said...

Yes...DE can safely be used on any bird, just be cautious of their eyes and don't let them inhale the dust while you are applying it.....it is extremely light and fine....

Anonymous said...

How do I use DE to keep coop from smelling I lightly dust every few weeks to help with bugs but any dire tons for using it as smell deterrent